Punk History Legal Info

Since this wiki is a collaborative project, the contents of the wiki will be licensed under the Creative Commons [WWW]Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. This license ensures that the information in this wiki will be available to all people (not just the particpants) equally. This license is the legal equivalent of GNU's [WWW]General Public License. [WWW]In plain and simple terms it means that you:

You are free:

Provided that you meet the following conditions:

If you need even more detail, check out the [WWW]lawyer readable version. Astute copyright hobbyists will by now have realized that the copyright needs to belong to someone in order to license the content of this wiki. Our answer borrows a page from the Linux community and we appoint a single, trusted benevolent dictator:

      Copyright (C) 2004 Shawn Jacques

Yes, Jax owns the content in this wiki, but I trust him to make the right decisions and look out for the punks. If you don't like this, then don't contribute to this wiki.

For anyone who is still with us, you may ask: "What sorts of decisions might Jax have to make?" Good question!

Well, the license does not permit commercial use, such as publishing a book based on this wiki. However, if someone wanted to publish a book based on this wiki, they will need to get Jax's permission (whom I trust to adequately poll the interests of the community and act accordingly). Jax and I agree that anyone who wants to use this data in a commercial enterprise will need to give away at least 50 percent of the earnings to a punk party fund and/or some charitable organization. There will be no hogging of the intellectual property in this wiki, got it?

If you have any more questions, please post them below and we'll start a FAQ right here in this page.

The problem being, of course, that the vast majority of this information is already public domain, meaning that the best you can claim is a literal compilation copyright, which doesn't cover your intent. My advice would be to either not worry about it, or hire a lawyer if this bugs you.